Thursday 11 August 2016

Chasing the Stars, by Malorie Blackman

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And since I have two more reviews that I need to post, I figured I'd do another one today, and then just alternate them.
So here is my review of Chasing the Stars, by Malorie Blackman!

Chasing the Stars, by Malorie Blackman
Title: Chasing the Stars
Author: Malorie Blackman
Genre: Sci-fi, romance 
Release date: 21st April, 2016
Pages: 495
Blurb: "Olivia and her twin brother, 
Aiden, are heading alone back
to Earth following the virus that 
completely wiped out the rest 
of their crew, and their family. 

Nathan is part of a community 
heading in the opposite direction. 
But on their journey Nathan's 
ship is attacked and most of
the community killed. 
Only a few survive. 

Their lives unexpectedly collide. 
Nathan and Vee are instantly 
attracted to each-other, deeply, 
head over heels- like nothing they have ever experienced. 

But not everyone is pleased. 
And surrounded by rumours, 
deception- even murder- 
is it possible to live out a 
happy ever after...?"


My Thoughts
Okay, I bought this book because it was 1) A Malorie Blackman book, and she is one of my favourite authors, and 2) It's set in space. I actually had no idea that the story is based off of Othello, (which is a Shakespearean play, in case you didn't know), which means that this book should have been all the better for me (because I love acting and musical theatre), but it just... didn't. 

Saying that, I haven't seen Othello, or read the play, so I didn't really recognise the similarities between the play and this book, but something just didn't do it for me. 

I mean, I did enjoy the story, but at one point I had to just put it to one side because nothing was really happening. 

Saying that, there were some things that I did enjoy. The fast-paced parts, for example. They were all just so damn quick! I also quite liked the direction the story took. It was very different to what I've read of Malorie Blackman before. Plus, the world building was quite good, actually. 

As for the characters, I wanted more of them. I like contrasting characters that show that their not just one constant emotion. Excluding like one character, who did not appear to be who I thought they were, they were all pretty constant the whole entire book, and I just wanted to see more. 

The writing was okay, and I think anyone who can finish it will be able to find something they like about the writing. 

The same goes for the plot. There was quite a lot of things developing beneath the surface in this book, and that overall is one of Malorie Blackman's strong points, and something she includes in ever book. The plot was unpredictable, and had twists that had me swearing under my breath, they were that unpredictable. 

So overall, this book was okay, but it did drag a bit. I mean, I liked most of it, but it just seemed like I wanted more. 

So that is my review for Chasing the Stars, by Malorie Blackman! I know this review wasn't the most positive of all the ones I've done, but hopefully this review was informative and interesting. Have a wonderful day, and I will see you all tomorrow!
Byeeee!

-Abi xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment